Reading Practice – Rare Lobster Saved From Becoming Dinner
Part 1 – Key Vocabulary
To be known for When we say that a place (or person) is know for something, it means that the place (or person) is famous for something.
- New York City is known for pizza.
- Johnny Depp is known for Pirates of the Caribbean.
End up We use end up to talk about the result of something.
- We took a hike and ended up at the top of a hill with a gorgeous view.
- I hope that our negotiations to buy the house end up successful.
Perk A perk is a benefit or an advantage that you receive from belonging to a certain group
- One perk of working in this company is the free coffee and bagels every morning.
- I use this mileage credit card because it has a lot of perks.
Turn up This is a phrasal verb that means to appear or arrive.
- When Jack turned up late for work the boss was angry.
- The trains in my town always turn up on time
Spot Here, spot is used as a verb meaning to notice or recognize something.
- We spotted several deer on our hiking trip.
- It’s not easy to spot someone in a crowded train.
Practice the Vocabulary
Answer the questions below, enter your name and email and hit send. Michael will reply with feedback within 24 hours.
Part 2 – Read the Story
Rare Lobster Saved From Becoming Dinner*You can listen to the article above, at both a slow speed and fast speed
The restaurant chain Red Lobster is known for having a big tank in the front of each of its locations full of lobsters. Typically, these animals are destined to end up on someone’s dinner plate, but that wasn’t the case for one lobster in Virginia.
Actually. being a rare specimen can have its perks. The lobster we’re talking about is also referred to as one of the rarest lobsters in the world. That made it even more of a surprise when it turned up at a Red Lobster in Manassas, Virginia, which is about 45 minutes west of Washington D.C..
Fortunately, the lobster was spotted while it was still alive and it was rescued from being served as dinner. The animal, which has been nicknamed Freckles due its appearance, is a calico lobster. These sorts of lobsters are named for the spotted design that appears on their shell and only occur in about “one in every 30 million” lobsters.Freckles has been donated to the Virginia Living Museum for its lobster display.
Original Article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/05/09/red-lobster-rare-calico-rescued/
Get some speaking practice by summarizing the basic idea of this story.
- ✅ You can record up to 60 seconds.
- ✅ I will send you some feedback about your message within 24 hours.